Friday, May 23, 2008

Visiting Riana and Sean's Cabin

I finally got to see where Riana and Sean have built their homestead.  They live 20 miles outside of Fairbanks.  It takes at least 30 min right now but can take longer depending on the conditions of the road.  For instance my mom had an hour added to a trip she took because there was a truck on fire in the middle of the road.  Many times someone will be in the ditch so they stop to help out.  Moose are always a distraction and the road itself is the worst part.  Most of the 20 miles is gravel road.  These are not your average gravel roads.  The entire time driving out there the i was thinking "these guys are crazy"  they drive this twice a day?  IT was so bumpy and muddy and twisty and turny and it was absolutely ridiculous.  Then we got to their driveway.  I thought the roads were bad.  This driveway is 1/4 mile long and it is no more than a logging trail gone bad.  And it is mostly up hill.  Now i really thought they were crazy.  And it wasn't even winter.  I couldn't imagine the roads/driveway with snow and ice (they don't plow their roads in AK)  So we came up to the top of the driveway and saw the cabin.  Then i knew exactly why they do what they do everyday.  Although the cabin is not finished yet it is absolutely amazing.  I saw pictures as they were in different stages of building and when they moved in, but they did not capture the magic of the place.   It is gorgeous.  IT is a log cabin with a deck that goes all the way around.  The cabin is 24x24 with a 3/4 loft.  It is completely surrounded by tall birch trees with little to no brush in the woods so you can see way into the trees.  Hopefully i can figure out how to upload pictures.  The inside is not finished yet.  They just got a refrigerator but have no kitchen cabinets.  They will be putting in hardwood floors and the upstairs is one big open room with no railing (scary)  they also just put in a sink (no running water of course)  with a bucket underneath.  IT is very cozy and warm and surprisingly very big (compared to my 7x7 sauna i had been staying in).  
I am not sure if i will attempt to ride my scooter out there.  They would have to meet me at the end of their driveway for sure.  IT would probably take me an hour to get there.  

2 comments:

Amy said...

Is this your sister? Sounds cool! I don't know if I could handle the no running water, but it sounds like it will be awesome when it is done.

Siri said...

I have finally found your blog!!!! Ya! Love it!