Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Scooters are complicated

So it is Tuesday,  last night i had my first experience with rain and scooter.  Did not go so well.  it was barely sprinkling and there was still blue sky and sun so i didn't think it was going to stay raining.  I wanted to meet Riana and Michelle at the coffee house to use the internet.  So i got all dress up to ride my scooter which is: jeans, dansko shoes, long sleeve shirt, fleece jacket, rain jacket for rain and wind, helmet, sunglasses,  and of course had to load up my backpack with computer and such.  I pulled out onto the highway and made it about 2 blks and could not see.  the sprinkling rain turns into pouring rain when you go fast on a scooter.  so i turned around, got home took everything off  (jeans all wet)  and hung out in my sauna for about 10 min.   then looked out and it was perfectly not raining so i put everything back on and got to the coffee house a few min. after Riana and Michelle left.  

Today i wanted to go running and then take a shower.  I decided that if i went running from my sauna i would be too hot and sweaty to put on my riding clothes.  I decided to drive to the showers and run from there and then i'd be at the showers and things would be better.  So i had to wear my running clothes under my jeans and such and pack all my shower stuff, computer stuff because i shower at the University and they have free wi fi.  

i got to the parking lot and had to unpack my backpack into the trunk of my scooter and try to make things safe as i would have to leave everything there while i was running.  I got everything unpacked from backpack and was about to take off my jeans and i looked down and i was not wearing my running shoes.  So i packed up my backpack again and headed for the showers.  

I am getting a lot better and driving my scooter.  I got up to 50 mpr yesterday and today.  very scary.  It is fun riding it but it is a process.  my back is already sore from always carrying a backpack full of crap.  

And tonight is the last night i will spend in my sauna (still no camera cord to upload pictures)  I will get to spend the rest of may in the same cabin i lived in last time i was here.  Then i move into this really cute cabin that is next door.  It has a little deck and a balcony deck as well.  

I am going to start work today.  I found out the cook who i worked with last time (5 years ago)  was just fired a week ago.  He was my favorite chef.  I also helped him crack all the king crap for the king crab salads for the night.  I would graciously take time out my serving duties to help out.  It was a hard job but someone had to do it.  (he always set a little cup of butter next to me in case there was some crab that might not be good enough for the salads  :)  
He also sometimes "accidentally"  made an extra salmon or halibut dinner at the end of the night and i would have to eat it.  

2 comments:

Amy said...

Hey Anjela, great to hear about your adventures thus far. I am still trying to picture you on your scooter. The rain story was hilarious! Anyway, we miss you!
--Amy Rodriguez

Terry said...

Hey Sooter, welcome to the world of bike riding. A face shield might keep your face dry but it won't have a whiper blade to make it any easier to see. Campmor has some good deals on rain pants right now. I just bought some for $10. Love you Dad