Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Water Skiing in Alaska? Am I crazy?

So yesterday I went water skiing in the Chena River.  This was pretty crazy.  I have never been water skiing in a river before so that was a little creepy.  The water was 40 or 50 degrees not sure but either way it was ice cold.  I got out on the shore and then walked in.  If you have ever gone in really cold water or had to take a cold shower you know what i mean.  As i was getting all the water in the water it was so cold i could hardly breath.  In a about a min or less my entire body went numb and i could no longer even feel that the water was cold.  So at that point I was thinking , mmm this isn't so bad.   I hadn't skied for a long time and the boat didn't have a lot of power so i took a 2nd try to get up and then it was really cold again because i was all wet and it was of course windy.  Luckily the sun was out and it helped.  The first person to go skiing skied for almost 30 min.  it was cloudy and raining the entire time he skied.  

So i skied past this restaurant along the river called Pike's Landing and waved to all the tourist who took pictures of the crazy person water skiing.  Then about 30 secs later i let go.  So i can say i went skiing in a freeing cold river on a crappy day.  

Someone took a picture but haven't gotten it yet.  will try and post it when i do.

No comments: